Paleo Eggplant Salad Recipe
Eggplants are powerhouses of vitamins, nutrients, and numerous health benefits needed to make our bodies function normally. Containing no fat and very low calories, it is rich in iron, calcium, bioflavonoids, fiber, Vitamin K, and phytonutrients; basically much of the things the doctors ordered.
For a unique and nutritious appetizer with a twist, try this Paleo Eggplant Salad Recipe.
- 2 tablespoons brined capers, rinsed
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- One 1-pound eggplant, peeled and cut into ⅓-inch dice
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- Soak your capers in water for 20 minutes and drain.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet and cook eggplant until browned on all sides for about 10 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from skillet
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into skillet.
- Add onion, garlic and celery.
- Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato, cover and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, until tender.
- In a saucepan, mix vinegar and honey and let mixture simmer.
- Stir in pine nuts and capers and cook for 1 minute.
- Put the reserved eggplant back into the skillet.
- Add the honey-vinegar mixture and cook on low heat for 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from skillet and place into a bowl.
- Allow it to cool to room temperature, then fold in the avocado.